Anxiety Treatment Questions and Answers
Are you suffering from anxiety and panic disorder? Come to Aroma Functional Nutrition Psychiatry today and be seen by board-certified professionals who can help you with this mental disorder. With location near Las Vegas NV, we’ve helped many in the area with their anxiety. For more information, please call us. We are conveniently offering virtual appointments.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is the reaction your mind and body have to situations that are unfamiliar, stressful or dangerous. Prior to a significant event happening, the feelings of uneasiness, distress or dread you feel leading up to it are symptoms of anxiety. While some anxiety is completely normal and our body and mind’s natural reaction to keep us aware and alert in new or unfamiliar situations, some people suffer from a severe anxiety disorder which can be completely debilitating for them. In a severe anxiety disorder, individuals will experience physical symptoms such as muscle tension and an increased heart rate in response to a perceived or real threat. Severe anxiety disorders fall under the umbrella of mental health disorders as they are far more serious and impactful than a simple case of the nerves.
What causes anxiety?
It is completely normal to feel some degree of anxiety and everyone will experience natural anxiety at some point or another, or several points, throughout their life. It is important to note that this type of anxiety is not the same as an anxiety disorder. Severe anxiety disorders can be caused by several different factors, depending on the type of anxiety the individual is feeling. While risk factors have been identified for developing an anxiety disorder, there is no one single factor that is a definitive cause. Most individuals who experience anxiety experience multiple types of the disorder, called comorbidities, typically with the same underlying cause. Additional causes of an anxiety disorder include environmental factors, medical conditions, behavioural choices, genetics and demographics,
What are different kinds of anxieties?
There are several different types of anxieties, with the 5 major anxiety disorder types being:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) in which individuals experience chronic anxiety, exaggerated worry and tension although there may be nothing to cause it.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) that causes repetitive behaviours, the compulsion part, or unwanted, recurrent thoughts, the obsessive part. The mind things that by completing the compulsive behaviours, the obsessive thoughts will go away, but doing so only provide temporary relief.
- Panic Disorder causes unexpected and repeated spells of intense fear along with physical symptoms such as chest pain, heart palpitations, dizziness, abdominal stress and shortness of breath.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) follows a traumatic event or ordeal in which grave physical harm was threatened or experienced, where the individual experiences anxiety that can cause them to feel like they are going to feel the same way they felt in the first experience.
- Social Phobia, or Social Anxiety Disorder, causes a person to feel excessively self-conscious or experience an unnaturally high level of anxiety in a social type setting. It can be directed at one type of setting such as speaking in front of others, or it can be broader and affect any social situation.
What are the signs and symptoms of an anxiety disorder?
Anxiety can present itself in many different ways, depending on the type of anxiety and the situation that causes the individual to feel anxious. The symptoms of anxiety can include restlessness, agitation, irritability, panic, irrational fear or danger, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, sleep issues, headache, stomach ache, pounding or racing heart, insomnia, trembling, excessive fear and worrying and muscle tension. Some situations or events can cause us to feel mild symptoms of anxiety as a normal reaction, but they will recede once the stressor is no longer there. For people who suffer from an anxiety disorder, the anxious feelings can be excessive and continue even once the situation has passed.
Can anxiety be treated?
The good news is that anxiety and anxiety disorders can be treated and managed through a variety of treatment options. Dr Tiffany provides a holistic and comprehensive treatment approach to anxiety disorders for all patients. She will work with you to diagnose your anxiety triggers and help you come up with a plan to manage them that will encompass your mental, physical, emotional and social health. The plan will work with your strengths and lifestyle to ensure that it makes sense and works for you in order for it to be truly effective. Give our clinic a call today, or book an appointment online, to find out we can help you to overcome your anxiety. We serve patients from Las Vegas NV, Henderson NV, Summerlin NV, Boulder City NV, Mount Charleston NV, Indian Springs NV, and Mesquite NV. Looking forward to serve you!